Monday, September 30, 2013

Shirt-tail Hems


During a recent lunch break in downtown D.C., I saw two women wearing shortish dresses with shirt-tail hems (not to be confused with the fish-tail hems of last summer :).  One of the dresses was a shirt dress — like a long, tunic-y Oxford shirt, with a placard that went all the way down to the hem.  The color was a classic cornflower blue, with a white collar.  Lest this description bring to mind a stiff, stuffy dress, let me tell you that the dress had been lived in.  It had not been starched, for sure.  And any pressed perfection had worn off by the two o'clock hour when I saw it in action.  But the dress was breezy, with the slightest air of sophistication.  Lovely.

On an overcast day, with autumn chill sneaking up on us, and in a city known for its general fashion risk aversion, this choice of work wear struck me as a little rebellious.*  I loved it!  And it made me think about extending (perhaps arbitrarily) the season of my own summer-specific dresses.

What do you think of this style?  Do you like it for summer, only, or would you wear it (maybe with an addition, like a cardigan or shawl or tights, for warmth) into the early fall months?

*Maybe my threshold is low?

No comments:

Post a Comment