Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fishtail Hems

The Sartorialist

Dresses and skirts with fishtail hems (also known as "high-low" hems) seem to be on every D.C. street right now. From a practical perspective, they're sort of like an apparel version of a mullet (party in the front; business in the back), combining the grace of a train with a sexy flash of leg. Based on what I'm seeing, this style could take over the spot that boho maxi dresses have enjoyed for the last several summer seasons. Here are a few fishtail-hemmed pieces that I like:

From left: BCBGeneration, Mango, Zara, Zara.

And these versions in black offer a subtler approach to the trend:

From left: BCBGeneration, Anthropologie, Zara, Anthropologie.

What do you think? Would you venture into fishtail territory, or do you prefer a hemline that's a little more conventional?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan. I like your mullet analogy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess they're not for everybody. :) But I do appreciate that there are so many takes on the trend. Some fish have more prominent tails than others! xox

    ReplyDelete