Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fourth of July: Drinks and Sweets

Our plans for the Fourth of July are coming together slowly and organically. Naturally, when we began making plans, among the first handful of questions I began to ask myself were two concerning drinks and sweets. Let's call those Questions 3 and 4.

Our front-runners to solve the aforementioned Questions 3 and 4: Pimm's Cup and lemon bars.

The Busty Baker

Most of us know lemon bars from school picnics and parties. When I was little, they were always one of my favorite selections at a party dessert table. If you haven't made lemon bars from scratch, believe me, they are fantastically simple and satisfying. Shortbread crust, plus a lemon-egg concoction and scant oven time equals sheer, lemony bliss. This is a good recipe. Based on my experience with it, I suggest increasing the lemon-egg portion by about one-third, as I found it a bit too cakey the last go-round.

Pimm's Cup Pitchers at Borough Market, London, via Chris Goldberg.

Unlike lemon bars, the Pimm's Cup is a delight that may or may not yet be familiar to you. (Please forgive me in advance if it's sacrilegious to serve a British tipple on Independence Day.) I first tried it a few years ago, when I was living in Cairo and my dear friend's British roommate contributed a huge punch bowl of the stuff to a brunch gathering. It was fresh and fruity and clean, almost like a subdued sangrĂ­a. Here's a nice recipe that you can tweak as you like. Pimm's liqueur, the (surprise!) main ingredient, is available at most liquor stores. There are several different types of Pimm's liqueur, each of which has a different liquor as the primary ingredient. You'll want Pimm's No. 1, the gin-based variant, for the traditional Pimm's Cup.

I love that both of these options are refreshing and include bright, quintessential summer flavors. Not to mention that they're easy as (apple) pie to make and allow for any number of variations to satisfy your and your guests' whims. What about a stone fruit Pimm's Cup using complementary herbs? Or grapefruit bars?

What are your plans for the Fourth? Have you settled on your answers to Questions 3 and 4?

4 comments:

  1. I am giddy already! Can't wait to put these to the test. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We'll have a great time. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ms.Amoura. I bartended during my college/gradschool years. It seems that almost every bar has a bottle of Pimms collecting dust and keeping "Campari" company (the other neglected liqueur). Occasionally and during the summer days, I will get the request for Pimms over ice either by an older wise man who knows his Pimms or by that clueless snobby seersucker-wearing college kid who barely looks of drinking age. Just for fun I carded him twice.
    For the left over Pimms try Pimms Royale: Muddle Cucumbers and orange and Pimms maybe some mint (go crazy), add ice and top with Champagne. Salud!
    Happy 4th...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, serious bonus points for giving us a whole new spin on Pimm's, HPC! Thanks and besitos!

    ReplyDelete