Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Summer Food: Pickles and Canning

I mentioned that I went to Norfolk, Virginia over the weekend. It's a low-key place with some special local landmarks. We also visited Virginia Beach, which was buzzing with an impressive air show (Hello, Blue Angels!) and lots of sun seekers.

Besides a solid dose of relaxation away from the city, the Southern Virginia coast offered some fantastic food! Two stars on the scene: crab chowder at A.W. Schucks in Norfolk . . .

Summery crab tomato chowder at A.W. Schucks.
. . . and pickled green beans in a phenomenal bloody Mary at Waterman's in Virginia Beach. (Note: I didn't get a photo of the bloody Mary, but you can learn how to make it here. Just note that the proper garnish is a divine pickled green bean, not a celery stick.)

I'd like to replicate both recipes. Some quick research on pickling led me to this adorable video featuring, you guessed it, green beans!



Last summer, I tinkered with quick pickle recipes involving sweet Vidalia onions and those wonderful, crunchy pickling cucumbers. They lived up to their name and were ready to eat after a few minutes resting in vinegar and spices. This summer, I think I'll up the ante and move into canning territory. That little video sure makes it look easy, doesn't it?

Have you ever made pickles, quick or otherwise? Or maybe you're an avid canner? In either case (or even if you're an ingenue, like me), I'd love to hear your experiences and aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment