Monday, October 7, 2013

Long Cardigans


Two (?) years ago, I picked up a long, beige, space-dyed cotton cardigan from J. Crew.  It's one of the open ones, without buttons.  I had not been on the long, open cardigan bandwagon until that point, and, honestly, it was a bit of an impulse buy.*  The piece was deeply discounted at the tail-end of one of J. Crew's big end-of-season sales, so I went for it, though I wasn't really sure how the relationship between that cardigan and me would pan out.**


Two-ish years later, that cardigan and me, we're still going strong.  The cardigan is made from a light-weight cotton, so it's great to wear year-round.  I've worn it with sundresses in the summer, and with jeans and boots in the fall.  It's one of those pieces that I often crave.  For casual occasions, it always just feels right.***  Now that we're on the cusp of cooler weather, I'm thinking about my fall wardrobe and wishing for a heavier-weight version of my beloved space-dyed friend.

Here's a collection of chic-casual long cardigans that might just fit that bill. 

1

Clockwise, from top left: Grey cardigan with pockets from Anthropologie, Leather (!) detail cardigan from Barneys New York, Oversize open cardigan from AnnaKastle, Grey open cardigan from Massimo Dutti, Camel stole cardigan from Uniqlo, Kimono sleeve cardigan from Zara

Do you have any wardrobe staples that always seem to feel right?  I'd love to know. 


*What on Earth was I going to do without buttons?
**Um, hello, it's a beige cardigan made from natural fibers.  I should have known.
***I am a textbook Virgo and feel very comfortable wearing all white and all beige outfits.  If I had to pick one color to wear for the rest of my life, I almost certainly would choose beige, as long as I also had chromatic latitude in accessorizing with scarves and large jewelry. 

(Top image via Polyvore.)

No comments:

Post a Comment