Friday, October 11, 2013

Happy (Rainy) Weekend!


Apologies for the light posting this week.  Things got busy!

One highlight worthy of special mention is happy hour at BLT Steak.  The place always seemed to fade into a particularly non-descript block of I Street, so I'd passed it by many times before I stopped in this week.  It turns out that BLT achieves the dark, cozy steakhouse vibe without being stuffy.  Think dark woods and leather, combined with warm metal accents and beige walls.  I am a fan.  The happy hour menu offers exclusively $5 treats: beer, wine, cocktails, and mini appetizers.  The complimentary trio of snacks (popcorn, olives, and an Asian party mix that seems house-made) may be the real winner and is totally addictive.  Dare I say that it rivals the similar snack trio (olives, wasabi peas, and mixed nuts) at Off the Record?  

Hope you have a great long weekend ahead.  If you are in D.C. or the vicinity, stay warm and dry!  I am expecting a pretty perfect weekend for breaking in my slow cooker, nesting a little, and maybe catching up with The Newsroom.  Here are some bits and pieces from around the web, including a few excuses to get out of the house if you want to brave the drizzle!  xx E.

***

Fashion Art Design Georgetown is happening this weekend, and lots of local shops and restaurants are hosting events that look like fun.  The sale tonight at Tari and Saturday night's closing party at Malmaison seem promising.

Washington Post dining critic Tom Sietsema has released his Fall 2013 Dining Guide.  Do you agree with Tom's appraisals?  Three-starred Le Diplomate is one of my favorites.

My weekend cooking adventure may feature something along the lines of the Pioneer Woman's white chili.  You know how I feel about beans.

These evocative photos of abandoned places will transport you.

I love these pointed-toe, half-d'Orsay flats.

Fall beer tasting on Saturday at Politics & Prose.

Russian eatery Mari Vanna's keys-for-VIPs policy gets more interesting.

This song makes me want to shake it all out and jump around.

If you haven't settled on a Halloween costume yet, you may want to consider these hilarious ideas.

Some of Ginnifer Goodwin's pitch perfect (including many fearless) beauty moments.

(Image via Sandy a la Mode.  Abandoned places photos via C., and Halloween costumes via A.)

No comments:

Post a Comment